Making a VCO Call with a TTY
(A Georgia Relay Customer Profile is highly recommended for VCO users and will streamline the following steps.)
- Dial 7-1-1 or 1-800-255-0056 to reach Georgia Relay.
- On your text screen, wait for “GTRS CA #XXXX (M/F) NBR PLS Q GA.” to appear.
- Type the area code and telephone number you are calling, followed by “VCO GA.” If you prefer to give the Communications Assistant (CA) the number verbally, type “VCO GA” and wait for the CA to come on the line.
- Once the CA is on the line, if you have typed in the number, the CA will type back “VCO ON.” If you have not typed in the number, the CA will type “VCO ON GA” to alert you to now provide the number verbally.
- The CA will type the standard phone user’s greeting to you when the call is answered. For example, “HELLO GA,” or “HELLO ABC COMPANY GA.”
- After you see “GA,” begin speaking directly to the person you’ve called. If you are using a TTY, pick up the handset and begin speaking to the other person. When you are ready for their response, say “GA” and place the handset back on the TTY. The conversation will continue back and forth between you and the other person.
* When using a VCO phone, no typing will be necessary. After Georgia Relay answers and a CA is on the line, all prompts will be made verbally.
* If the person you’re calling has never used Georgia Relay, the CA will explain how it works. You will see a message on your screen that says, “EXPLAINING RELAY.”
* Remember to say “GA” or “Go Ahead” each time you finish your part of the conversation so the other person can respond to you.